This blog is such a fun topic, When researching this one I always find something amazing. I can't believe the marketing and false rumors out there. I wonder where they start...oh well that can be another blog. So let's get started on the myths...
Fat free food is calorie free: This is a great one, that is why so many manufacturers market to "fat free," "low fat," "reduced fat". The best example I have is ff sour cream, I add Hidden Valley Ranch dips and my family all then think the dip has no calories. It it a mental thing....I have wrote many times read the label.
Six meals are better than three: Not necessarily, some people can easily turn six small meals into larger ones. Our busy lifestyle really prohibits six meals a day. It is truly all about calorie intake and our body. Our bodies digest food typically every four hours and that is where the theory that six meals is better. High fiber makes us feel full longer. But, if you stick to three meals and included healthy snacks mid morning and mid afternoon your body will get the fuel it needs.
It takes more calories to eat a stick of celery than are contained in the celery itself – making it a negative calorie food: I first saw this one on "Food Detective" on Food Network and I laughed. What could this be true? Yes! But in a world where it takes 3,500 calories to work off a single pound of fat, celery would make a merest difference.
To Lose Weight, You Must Avoid Carbs: This one angers me, I love my carbs....some love their chocolate. Me I can't live without my carbs. There are healthy carbs and your body needs them. Here are the numbers: one gram of carbohydrate (that is, starch) has four calories, while a gram of chicken fat, olive oil, or fryer grease - any kind of fat - has nine.
Fish is Full of Good Fat: Yes and no! Up to 30 percent of the fat in fish is omega-3 (good) fat, which helps prevent blood clots and reduces inflammation. But the other 70 percent or more is a mixture of saturated fat that tends to raise cholesterol levels and various other fats that are little more than a source of concentrated calories.
Cravings Are Your Body's Way of Telling You What You Need: No! Cravings for sugar and chocolate have nothing to do with nutrient deficiencies. So why do we crave them? Because these foods trigger the release of mood boosting compounds in the brain. Mostly memories and emotions is why we crave something!
A Glass of Wine Every Day Promotes Good Health: Alcohol is a double-edged sword. People who drink modestly live longer than teetotalers, studies show. But there is a danger: Women who drink daily - even one drink per day - have a higher risk of breast cancer, compared with women who avoid alcohol entirely.